Professor of the Practice of Computer Science, Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
Faculty Group: Computer Science Education
Ph.D., Duke University, 1992
M.S., Duke University, 1989
M.A.T., Duke University, 1979
A.B., Dartmouth College, 1978
Honors & Awards
NSF CISE Distinguished Education Fellow, 2007;Richard K. Lublin Teaching Award, 2002; Outstanding Instructor in Computer Science (University of British Columbia), 1998; NSF Career Award, 1997; Robert Cox Teaching Award, 1995.
Paradigmatic changes in computer science education, instruction and pedagogy at scale, understanding programming and how to teach it.
- Steve Wolfman, Owen Astrachan, Mike Clancy, Kurt Eiselt,Jeffrey Forbes, Diana Franklin, David Kay, Mike Scott, and Kevin Wayne. "Teaching-Oriented Faculty at Research Universities." Communications of the ACM. November 2011, v. 54. n 11. pp. 35-37.
- Owen Astrachan and Robert Dewar. “CS Education in the U.S.: Heading in the Wrong Direction.” Communications of the ACM. July 2009, v. 52, n. 7, pp. 41-45.
- Owen Astrachan. “Pander to Ponder.” SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Chattanooga,TN, 2009.
- Casey Alt, Owen Astrachan, Jeffrey Forbes, Richard Lucic,and Susan Rodger. "Social Networks Generate Interest in Computer Science." SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Houston, TX, 2006.
- Owen Astrachan. A Computer Science Tapestry: Exploring Programming and Computer Science with C++. Second Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2000.